Menstruation is bad enough on its own, what with the mood swings, cramps, bloating, and so on. Premenstrual syndrome, or PMS, can especially ruin your week, and in some cases, the week of those around you as well.
But did you know that the symptoms which make you miserable can easily be treated and even prevented by eating the right foods? It’s true, and Linda Booth, a digestive health expert has come up with 12 different foods to help counteract these nasty symptoms, potentially even avoiding the symptoms altogether.
1. Dark chocolate is rich in magnesium which relieves tension in muscles and blood vessels. It helps increase endorphin, thus making you feel better almost instantly.
2. Watermelon is loaded with water which relieves bloating due to PMS.
3. Avocado has nutrients that get rid of prostaglandins whic are responsible for pain and inflammation.
4. Pineapple has bromelain which relaxes the muscles.
5. Green leafy vegetables are also rich in magnesium which can greatly help fight against intestinal spasms as well as pain in the uterus during menstruation.
6. Celery has high water content so it’s very useful in preventing bloating.
7. Fermented foods are also excellent remedies for bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.
8. Hummus is go-to food when it comes to pain and inflammation.
9. Brown rice contains fiber responsible for regulating bowel movement and gets rid of toxins too.
10. Eating beans increases iron levels.
11. Protein-rich foods can also relieve menstrual cramps.
12. Calcium and vitamin D found in Greek Yogurt prevent PMS symptoms.
Why suffer from the symptoms of menstruation when you can prevent them in the first place or treat them naturally? Eating the foods mentioned above is the first thing to do to ensure your menstruation doesn’t get in the way of day-to-day life.